Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Guardian of Blue Fire: Part 1

-Her Perspective-

Warmth encircled me, held me like a mother holding her child on a cold night. I felt peaceful; my heart beat drumming softly in my head, my breathing even. My eyes fluttered open. There were small streams of daylight bleeding into the dimness of my room, casting playful shadows along the walls, telling me it was time to get up. I let out a soft yawn and tried to bury myself back into the comforting warmth when my bladder began to protest. Frown lines creased my face as my lips pulled back; a deep-chested growl of disapproval flowed through clenched teeth as my nerves roared to life, bringing the pain along with it. My body was awake, even if my mind still lingered on that high ledge of dreams. It was time to get up. Damn.

-His Perspective-

A soft tingle of energy trailed along my spine, causing every hair to bristle and stand on end. If I'd closed my eyes, I could've sworn it felt like small fingertips brushing along my flesh. Which told me she was awake. A small smile ghosted my lips as I hit the switch on the coffee pot and leaned back against the kitchen counter; arms held loosely across my chest. Small kitchen, barely enough room for my big ass let alone two people. Small living quarters, or what she corrected me as, 'her apartment'. I knew what it was, but I loved teasing her. Once provoked, she wouldn't back down, even under playful circumstances. A trait I'd always admired in a woman. It also made me wonder how she'd handle a potentially violent situation. Would she go in guns blazing? Or would she talk them into submission? Hmm. Guess I'll have to ask her sometime.

I waited patiently as she finished her morning ritual in the bathroom and felt my heart thunder just a fraction faster when I heard the door open, followed by the very briefest of sound; light footfalls you had to strain to hear if you knew what to listen for. I wonder if that was instinctive. She seemed unaware of how truly quiet she made herself when she moved, as if it were second nature. Most people would jump at her sudden appearance, but I knew better. I'd felt her long before she'd made herself known. Must be a predator thing. Always aware of your surroundings; kill or be killed mentality. The slightest sound could be the one thing that can either save or damn your soul. When you've been hunted for most of your existence, you become accustomed to it. There was always some one or some thing thinkin' it's bigger and badder then you on the food chain.

She'd never been where I've been, seen what I've seen. Didn't have to kill to survive. She'd lived a somewhat normal life on this rock she called home...and yet, she reacted to everything like it was a threat. Hypersensitive to everything around her. It was like looking into a mirror. What made her this way? Too many thoughts...too many questions. I've known her for years and she still had a way of surprising me.

-Her Perspective-

He was just leaning his large frame back against the kitchen counter, just right to the coffee pot; arms held in a loose fashion across his massive chest. Dressed in his usual attire; black tank tucked into a pair of dark gray cargos that seemed to be tucked into his black lace up boots. Dressed like a shadow. The thought would've made me smile if I wasn't half asleep. The only expressions I could make in that state of mind were not pleasant ones. At least, I didn't think so. I've never been accused of being a 'morning person'. 

Instead of my usual grunting or soft growling as a means of speech, I noticed the way he was watching me and felt myself tense with awareness. There was something behind those pitch black goggles covering his otherworldly gaze. An unseen energy that seemed to pour away from him and curl around me; probing, curious. I felt his power trail invisible fingers along my skin, searching for something...an opening. I felt something ball up like a clenched fist deep inside me as his energy continued to search my form... As soon as it found a crack in my walls, that strange electricity inside me exploded, meeting the invasion like a whip of lightening. It was suddenly very hard to breathe. I choked back a gasp when I felt a soft pop behind my ears, as if our energies had clashed like to two Titans meeting swords.

I had to grab the empty door frame to my right to keep myself steady because there was a slight tremble in my legs I didn't trust. What in the hell was That?! I think the question showed on my face because he was no longer leaning back against my kitchen counter, but was suddenly right in front of me. Like he'd just appeared out of thin air. I blinked and looked up into those haunting goggles, wondering how he'd moved that fast without me seeing it.

"Back up." My voice was a strangled whisper. So I swallowed and tried again, "back up, Riddick." It was firmer the second time, but still a tad breathy as if I just ran a marathon.

He didn't move. In fact, it seemed as though he were fighting something deep inside, the strain showing on his face when his jaws clenched in a stubborn line. It wasn't like him to push me. He knew better.

I wasn't angry, I was worried. He would've moved without a second thought, but to me, it almost seemed like he was trapped there, staring down at me. "Can you move?" I asked in a careful tone and felt a crease of concern furrow my brow as I searched the quiet lines of his face.

-His Perspective-

It felt like strings had pulled me forward and I had to use every ounce of willpower to stop myself, right there, before I could pin her up against the wall. My fists clenched, white knuckled with the strain to keep my hands at my sides and not let them do what they wanted. Every muscle, every tendon screamed with tension as I fought myself to stay exactly where I was. This was new. I'd never lost control of myself like this before. She had no idea how close I'd come to... No, I wouldn't even think it. Period.

The sound of her words, the concern there, brought part of me back from my internal struggle and let me reply, "Don't think it'd be wise." It wasn't even my voice; it was a deep-chested growl that didn't sound like it was formed with human vocal chords. What the hell was wrong with me?

I could see a shimmer of clarity in her eyes, as if she knew something I wasn't in on. Her features seemed to smooth out, growing calm, an expression I had perfected over the years. It was the look I'd get when I didn't want someone to see what was going on in my head... I didn't want them to read my emotions. Shit. She was shutting me out.

"I'm sorry." She suddenly murmured; a soft tone that was still unreadable as it danced through my ears. I couldn't see what she was thinking or feeling. She merely stood there, stubbornly unwilling to move out of harm's way, her gaze never leaving mine. "I think you triggered something."

I felt my brow furrow at that. "Me?" I shot at her, harsher than I'd meant to sound, and felt the tension in my body begin to slowly leak away. Always an improvement.

Unreadable eyes stared me straight in the face as she spoke, "your energy tried to frisk me and something inside me didn't like it." She explained in that empty tone and paused to take a calming breath, guess she wasn't as shut off as she seemed, "it reacted and I think whatever lives in you, thought it was a challenge."

Her words made me tense, but for another reason. She was right. Whatever darkness lives inside me, didn't like being told no. And as a result, almost made me... I swallowed a sudden lump from the back of my throat and hoped my voice wouldn't betray me. "Guess I need to keep a better leash on it then, huh?" I mused in a low thunder, sounding more in control, more like myself. 

Feral eyes searched my face, as if she didn't quite believe it was me talking. Couldn't blame her... Don't think she knew how close the darkness had come to getting its way.

And just like that, warmth filled her expression and her posture relaxed as if nothing happened. "Smells like the coffee's ready," she announced, tone once again that sultry purr I'd always loved. But just underneath I could sense a hesitation. As if there was now a part of her that didn't trust me anymore. It hurt to feel that, but I didn't show it.

"Then by all means," I rumbled and stepped back, out of her way, allowing her what little room there was to maneuver in that small kitchen of hers, "ladies first."

She nodded, a gentle smile curving the line of those full lips and proceeded past me. The act was impressive and would've fooled anyone...except for one tiny flaw. She'd made a point to avoid brushing against me. Such a small movement, but it hadn't gone unnoticed. 

-Her Perspective-

I shut down inside, buried whatever it was that awoke with a snarl and focused on getting some caffeine. I knew he was watching me, trying to read me and I was damned positive my avoiding physical contact hadn't gone unnoticed. But what hell was I supposed to say to him? 'Oh hey, ya know...that was kinda scary and I think I'd like you to stay the hell away from me for awhile'. Ya, not very nice. And it wasn't entirely his fault...I think. He didn't know he was doing it...right? That whole thing, whatever the fuck it was, was a challenge of power. I was gunna have to suss it out further before I could bring it up in conversation again.

For right now, focus on coffee and waking up. Later I could worry about it. At least...that's what I was hoping for.

-Fades to Black-

No comments:

Post a Comment