Monday, November 25, 2013

Dreams, Nightmares, Guardians and Coffee



The cold twisted all around me, invisible tendrils fluttering against my skin, the icy touch leaving a trail of goosebumps in its wake. It wasn't a hindrance, quite the opposite. The chill buried itself under my flesh and made me feel more alive as I walked on echoless footsteps along lush green grass. The scenery didn't match my senses. It appeared like a warm, sunny afternoon...as though spring had broken through the late fall chill and was showering the world around me with life. But I knew it was false...I knew I was dreaming. The shiver that ran through me woke me just long enough to curl the blankets closer to my form, so that when I slipped back into that alternate reality, I wouldn't be distracted by the realm of awake.




Small, bare feet pressed gently down against the lush and impossibly green grass as I ventured forward. Where I was headed was an enigma, because as I walked, a conversation was happening off to the side (like a movie; where you're seeing a peaceful flash of a memory and then faded back into a cozy room full of people sitting and talking) I turned my eyes to the right and was suddenly looking into the eyes of an unknown person who's voice had distracted me in the first place, and the next moment that beautiful place had faded away, placing me in a dark living room with a roaring fireplace...but there was no heat or sound, just a ghostly memory of flames licking the air, casting nothing more than playful shadows along the fireplace.




I knew I didn't like being there, something was very off about this place, with strangers I couldn't place. Their voices nothing more than static as they spoke in hushed murmurs. I realized then, that I was sitting at the edge of a large, honey-colored couch as that uneasy feeling continued to creep its way along my spine. A wordless warning that I needed to find a way out...and fast.

On my feet, I tried to appear loose and calm, but felt those cold eyes on me. Scrutinizing...empty. As if I were nothing more than a helpless lamb in a room full of bloodthirsty predators. But it was an unnatural energy coiling around me. These weren't predators. They weren't even human. I could sense the emptiness behind each obsidian gaze, living black holes set on consuming anything good they could find.

I was in a room with Monsters.

One moment I'm about to turn and find an exit, the next...they were on me. Surrounded, I stood very still and noted the only two other females had faded off in the background as the remaining five males began advancing toward me.

This was bad...very bad.

Silent, I waited... I knew what was dancing in their twisted thoughts as predatory grins began stretching their lifeless faces. I fought back the urge to panic, the hard lump of fear trying to lodge itself in the back of my throat. I was also very aware of the fact that they were so much bigger than they had appeared when I first melted into the room from the previous outdoor scene. I hadn't shrunk, they had grown. Each standing easily over 6 feet, as if they were showing me how small and helpless I really was.




As I took in a silent breath of courage, things whiplashed into chaos.

Hands, so many hands...were clawing at my clothes, nails biting into the tender flesh as they ripped the pieces away. Without warning I was thrown onto a table, my back hitting the surface so hard I bit into the inside of my cheek, flooding my tongue with hot copper. The panic exploded in my chest as they began pinning me down...

I was suddenly across the room, uncertain as to how I'd gotten there when I realized what I was seeing. I could see what was about to happen to the body in the dining room. "I don't want to see this..." I heard my voice lift into the silence but never moved my lips.

"Don't acknowledge it." A deep growl thundered to my right, "it's not real."

There was a huge shadow of a man to my right, partially blocking my view from the horrific scene in the other room. Focusing on that living darkness, all I could make out was two blue fire orbs glowing into my gaze. 




I nodded and murmured softly, "just walk away..." I said to myself and turned to my left, putting my back to the nightmare as the shadow guardian remained protectively at my side. I was grateful that the horrors in the other room had been muted as I moved one foot after the other and witnessed the room begin to shimmer and melt all around me. With every step I took, I watched as the scene faded away...and I was back outside.

But something was different. There was an old fashioned wooden chair a few feet ahead in the grass and the sun was no longer right over head, but was beginning to descend behind me. "It's later than I thought." I announced thoughtfully and felt that strong presence all around me. 

That living thunder rolled through me as it danced like warm velvet behind my eyes, "Gotta get up, kid. Your alarm's about to go off."

*  *  *  *

"Yo-Ho, Yo-Ho! A Pirate's Life Fer Me!" Sang my phone as I growled into my pillow and forced myself out of bed.

Twisted, huh? -chuckles and shakes her head before taking a drink of her warm coffee in her Nightmare Before Xmas Thermos-

Not exactly a Nightmare or a Good Dream. I honestly still feel weird about it. It's odd that I was rescued by a guardian made of shadows... And it was as though it was stronger, because it's never been able to pull me out of a nightmare and shift everything around me. That's never happened before. And yes, it was who I described. My Muse was starting to manifest.

-shrugs- Oh the weirdness of muh brainmeats. -smirks and takes another drink of her coffee-

I'd like to not have another dream like that again... I'm just glad I was so...emotionally numb in the dream. Because that's the worst thing to wake up with; horrific emotions brought on by a traumatic experience created by the subconscious. Ya, no thanks.

And on that note...I'm gunna continue waking up and maybe find something to take my mind elsewhere.

-Anon-

No comments:

Post a Comment